How acupuncture can help with fertility problems
Today The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that between 5% and 15% of couples are experiencing difficulty conceiving – the prevalence of infertility is similar across the world. In the UK 1 in 7 couples may have difficulty conceiving – this is approximately 3.5 million people in the UK.
There is strong clinical medical evidence to suggest that acupuncture can help with the following:
- Regulates menstruation -improving the chances of pregnancy through ovulation.
- Counteracts stress. High levels of the stress hormone cortisol can cause testosterone, estrogen and progesterone levels to decline (essential hormones infertility). In women, it stops ovulation – in men it can alter sperm numbers, motility and cause impotence.
- Produces few or no side effects while performing the same function as pharmaceuticals by stimulating the hypothalamus to effectively balance the endocrine system and its hormones getting to the root cause of male and female infertility.
- An alternative or complement to pharmacological induction of ovulation in women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and also relieves symptoms without adverse side effects.
- Improves endometrial thickness and optimises temperature increasing receptivity to promote successful implantation.
- Support pregnancy to term.
Acupuncture is one branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). TCM is the oldest and continuous medical system still practiced today in many countries throughout the world. TCM aims to restore the body’s balance and harmony between the natural opposing forces of yin and yang thereby avoiding disease. From a Western Medicine perspective homeostasis maintains an internal balance within the human body and when the balance is threatened or lost there is a serious risk to the well being of the individual.
Our acupuncturist will take a full medical history, including details of your menstrual cycle and the results of fertility tests you’ve had. As well as the needle treatment, appointments usually include advice on diet and lifestyle changes that can boost fertility.